Blog and life updates

How FinCon Changed My Life

October 2, 2015
FinCon15, Friends, and Finances

FinCon15, Friends, and Finances

As many of you other wonderful bloggers already know, the financial media conference, FinCon15, took place in Charlotte, VA from September 17-21. I was blessed enough to be able to attend. The conference was incredible, I met incredible people, and I left with a huge fire lit underneath me to get cracking on my freelance writing, as well as my own blog.

My mentor at the conference, Ryan Rhoten, gave me some unbelievable tips and advice for how to create a better brand for myself, take myself seriously, and help others to take me seriously as well.

I know what you’re thinking! That was two weeks ago! Where on earth have you been for the better part of month?

Working my tail off

The (awesome) problem is that I came back with several new clients, and my work load has essentially tripled. I have not had adequate sleep since I got back from the conference, let alone time to do any sort of writing for my own blog (I know, Ryan, I know! I’m working on it, I promise!)

I had mentioned to a new friend from the conference that most of my content creation goes towards onto other websites, and I never seem to have enough time or creative juices left over for my own writing. He summed it up perfectly, “The Cobbler’s children have no shoes.”

It’s a problem that a lot of freelance writers struggle with. I know that I need to find time to write for my own blog, and eventually I will. First I need to find my new groove with all of my new clients though. I know that I will probably not become a three post a week blogger until at least the beginning of next year, but I am completely alright with that.

Bypassing goals and Changing my life

Because of meeting other bloggers and new clients at FinCon, I have surpassed my original goal of earning a steady $500 in freelance writing income. By the end of October, I will come close to double that goal.

This change is absolutely monumental for my family. Not only will I be able to pay off my debt that I incurred to go to FinCon, within the next three months, but I will be able to start the New Year by increasing my family’s income by 25%. Every single penny I earn, as a work at home mom freelance writer, will be going towards paying off our chains of debt. I truly believe that I will be able to reach our main financial goal of becoming completely debt free by the end of 2016.

It’s an amazing feeling to be finally be able to contribute to the family income, pay off debt, and work towards goals in a productive way.

Learning how to get paid to write for blogs, and taking myself seriously enough to go to FinCon to find clients, have monumentally changed my life and the quality of life for my family.

I am so excited to see where I’ll be, both personally and professionally, this time next year.

Have you recently met any personal goals? What are you most excited for as the year draws to a close?

• Reply Brian @DebtDiscipline October 2, 2015 at 8:13 am

Nicely done Kristi! Great to connect with you at FinCon! Continued success writing and killing your debt! I recently when back to school to completed a certification, something I have been wanted to do for years.
    Brian @DebtDiscipline recently posted…Week End Round Up #98My Profile

• Reply moderatemuseblog October 2, 2015 at 9:43 pm

Thank you, Brian! It was great to connect with you at FinCon as well! Congratulations on going back to school. That’s amazing! I would love to go back to school someday. It’s definitely on my bucket list!

• Reply Lisa October 2, 2015 at 8:40 am

How exciting! I was wondering how it went for you :) I have been reading your posts on Retire by 40 and you do a really nice job with them. Are you able to write posts here that link to your paid posts so I can read those also? (Not sure if there are rules about that.)
    Lisa recently posted…Taking Time to RelaxMy Profile

• Reply moderatemuseblog October 2, 2015 at 9:48 pm

Thank you so much, Lisa! I can (and usually try to) add a link to other paid posts, but when I post on other sites I can’t link back to my own. I really need to be better about updating my recent articles on my hire me page though.

• Reply Alexandra @ My Urban Family October 2, 2015 at 10:10 am

Congrats on the new clients and the realization that you can be debt free by the end of next year! That is so amazing!! :)
    Alexandra @ My Urban Family recently posted…Friday Favorites Week 9My Profile

• Reply moderatemuseblog October 2, 2015 at 9:48 pm

Thanks, Alexandra! It will be an amazing feeling if I’m able to pull it off!

• Reply Cat@BudgetBlonde October 2, 2015 at 10:45 am

I’m so excited for you Kristi! You are doing amazing things for your family. The only thing I would encourage you to consider is getting some help with the kids so you don’t get burnt out. I waited way too long to get some help with my beans and my business, so I don’t want to see you do the same other. Other than that, keep rockin’ it!
    Cat@BudgetBlonde recently posted…5 Ways to Find Inspiration For Your Blog PostsMy Profile

• Reply moderatemuseblog October 2, 2015 at 9:53 pm

Thank you so much, Cat! I desperately need and want some help, but I’m pretty sure it’s going to have to wait until the first of the year. Until then, I’ll keep hustling!

• Reply Chonce October 2, 2015 at 10:06 pm

Congrats on all the success from FinCon this year Kristi and it was so awesome rooming with you! You are rocking your freelance income goals and I’m so excited for you :) It looks like we have the same debt free date so we will have to hold each other to it!
    Chonce recently posted…September Budget ReviewMy Profile

• Reply moderatemuseblog October 2, 2015 at 10:10 pm

Thanks Chonce! It was great rooming with you! Maybe we can both kill our goals and pay off our debt before FinCon next year =]

• Reply Ryan October 5, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Kristi, it was so wonderful to meet you at FinCon. And I’m excited to read your story. My first conference was a similar leap of faith – it was a $1,000+ weekend and I wasn’t sure how it would turn out. But I looked at it as an investment in myself and my business, and it paid off very well in the long run. And it looks like your investment in yourself will return similar dividends. Very exciting, and inspirational!
    Ryan recently posted…Underutilized Benefits Available to Military FamiliesMy Profile

• Reply moderatemuseblog October 19, 2015 at 12:59 am

Thank you, Ryan! It was so wonderful to meet you as well, and I am so excited to be working with you! I would love to hear more about your own story sometime. It’s always encouraging and reassuring to see so many successful people who started out in similar positions. It gives me hope!

• Reply Gerri Detweiler October 6, 2015 at 8:20 pm

That’s terrific! Congratulations. Sounds like it’s coming together for you.

• Reply moderatemuseblog October 19, 2015 at 12:57 am

Thank you, Gerri! It has been a wonderful whirlwind of change!

• Reply Melanie @ Dear Debt October 6, 2015 at 11:37 pm

That’s so awesome! It was great meeting you at FinCon! Congrats on the work and hope you get some sleep soon. It’s always so hard prioritizing your own work, when that’s not what pays the bills.
    Melanie @ Dear Debt recently posted…Break Up with Student Loan Debt + Free WebinarMy Profile

• Reply moderatemuseblog October 19, 2015 at 12:56 am

It was great to meet you too, Melanie! Putting paid work first has really been the main issue. I’m so tired, that I just let my own blog slide.

• Reply The 3 Essential Tools Every Freelancer NeedsShoeaholic No More October 19, 2015 at 5:00 am

[…] a lot of the time, and she currently has no help with the kids. On top of that, she’s really grown her freelance business in the past couple of months and is providing a great income for her family by working from […]