Family Finances, Uncategorized

Don’t Allow $1.25 to Ruin Your Day

August 31, 2015
$1.25 really isn't worth the frustration

Yesterday started out great. My 18 month old woke me up at around 6:10, and even though I had only gotten about 4.5 hours of sleep, I actually wasn’t at all tired. I got little-man situated, made myself some coffee, and decided to bake banana muffins for breakfast. While he was playing and the muffins were baking, I worked on invoice sheets for a bit.

My husband and daughter both got up right around the time the muffins were done baking, and we all ate breakfast together as a family. Shortly thereafter we went for a 2 mile family run, came back, and then quickly got ready and left for church.

Fresh muffins. The promise of future payment. Great Workout. Inspiring Mass. I felt fantastic yesterday, like my body, mind, and soul were being taken care of, and I was in a great mood.

Then I made the decision to stop at Food Lion on our way home from church.

Before walking into the store, I knew my budget would be about $25 and I had a list of the basic items I needed: bananas, eggs, milk, etc. On the way into the store, I noticed that cereal was on sale for $1.74. That’s a great deal, especially when it’s one of the few items your 18 month old will actually eat for breakfast.

Anyway, I walked down the cereal aisle, found the shelf with the advertised cereal with big red arrows exclaiming “GREAT VALUE” “ON SALE” etc. and picked up a box off of the clearly marked shelf. I grab my other few items, wait in line, pay, and head out to the car, at which point I noticed that the cashier hadn’t rung up the cereal box as on sale.

My receipt listed it for $2.99 instead of $1.74. So I went back in the store and asked the same cashier why it hadn’t rung up as on sale. Her reply was that only the 12 oz boxes were on sale. I had bought the 9 oz box. I said, “Well, the store clearly has this box labeled as on sale.” To which her response was, “Someone must have just stuck that box there.” To which I replied again, “No, really. It is very clearly marked on that shelf that all of this size box is on sale.”

Long story short, I left the store very angry, with absolutely no help from the cashier who very clearly didn’t care at all that I had just paid $1.25 more, for 3 fewer ounces of cereal than the on sale box.

I was fuming, steaming mad when I got home. I was putting groceries away with much more force than necessary, all while snapping at my family. I realized how crazy I was being and wondered how I let myself get so angry over a box of cereal.

Instead of punishing my family for something that was clearly not their fault, I tried to use that negative energy for something productive. I finished my invoices, and then we went for a walk down to the park for some fresh air and to let the kiddos play for a bit before dinner and bedtime.

As much as I really want to blame the store, because someone clearly didn’t properly label the sale items,  I should have double-checked the bar-code before putting the item in my cart. I really shouldn’t have gotten so upset over $1.25. I was about to let a fantastic day get ruined over something as trivial as 5 quarters.

So today, with just an ounce of bitterness,  I will sit and enjoy a box of my not on sale cereal at the crack of dawn, with my sweet 18 month who I love to pieces. I will be grateful that I have the money to put food on our table and in our children’s bellies, and I will never let $1.25 almost ruin my day again.

I learned a valuable life lesson yesterday: don’t let savings, or a lack there of, decidedly ruin an otherwise great day. It’s just not worth it. I choose to be grateful and learn from my mistakes instead.

Have you ever let something as trivial as $1.25 ruin your day?

• Reply Mrs. Budgets @MrandMrsBudgets August 31, 2015 at 7:50 am

I can totally relate to this situation. I will get home and realize I was overcharged for something and I’ll get so angry. Mr. Budgets will calm me down and make me realize it really is over something so small. But I am surprised by the fact that when you went back to the store the cashier wasn’t helpful. I think I would have returned the item if I was still at the store when I noticed I bought the wrong item. Most of the time I don’t realize until I am home so I never end up returning grocery items.
    Mrs. Budgets @MrandMrsBudgets recently posted…FinCon 2015 Tips & How I’m Going for FreeMy Profile

• Reply moderatemuseblog August 31, 2015 at 9:19 am

I foolishly didn’t take the box of cereal in with me, because I thought that it was just a mistake on the cashier’s part. My husband and two cranky kids were already ancy to get home, so I didn’t want to have to go back out to the car and then wait in line again.

• Reply Holly@ClubThrifty August 31, 2015 at 8:24 am

My local Kroger will refund your money if something rings up wrong. With that being said, the last thing I want to do is go to customer service with a full cart of groceries and wait for a second time. I pick my battles. If it’s 50 cents, I might not do it. But one time I bought salmon that was on sale and it rung up for the regular price which was something like $12 more! Definitely went back for that one.
    Holly@ClubThrifty recently posted…How to Get Ahead without Hitting the LotteryMy Profile

• Reply moderatemuseblog August 31, 2015 at 9:24 am

I left the groceries in the car, and thought I could just take the receipt in to fix the issue. My husband was waiting in the car with the kids, since our 18 month old was asleep when we got to the store. I really didn’t want to go back out to the car and then go back in again (he had woken up and was wailing at this point). It just wasn’t worth it, but I was still aggravated.

I would have gone back in for $12 difference too!

• Reply Kay ~ Prosperously Speaking August 31, 2015 at 9:57 am

Man, I know the feeling. When that happens to us, we bring the item to customer service and either get the price fixed or get a refund. I know $1.25 isn’t much, but it’s your money, not the cashier’s, so that’s why she didn’t give a fig about it. Great lesson though. I know I’ve taken stuff like that out on my hubby. Then I feel so terrible afterward, he ends up getting the royal treatment for a while. I guess that’s why he doesn’t mind so much. 😛
    Kay ~ Prosperously Speaking recently posted…The Perks & Quirks of the PF CommunityMy Profile

• Reply Alexandra @ My Urban Family August 31, 2015 at 10:18 am

I can relate as well though I’ve learned to let things like that go a bit better than I used to. My husband is so good at putting things in perspective for me that it really helps when things like that happen and hes around.
    Alexandra @ My Urban Family recently posted…Restaurant Review: Slurping TurtleMy Profile

• Reply moderatemuseblog August 31, 2015 at 10:23 am

I hear you! My husband is fantastic for helping me keep things in perspective too. I still have trouble letting go, but I usually don’t hold on as long when he’s with me.

• Reply Chonce August 31, 2015 at 1:57 pm

I think what would have got me upset was the how the cashier wasn’t helpful at all. That’s frustrating. I used to get worked up a lot about overspending and going over our budget, mainly because my bf seemed so chill about everything and didn’t mind throwing extra money away so I felt like I had to combat that by being extra strict. When it comes to food though, I’m a little more lenient because we have to eat. It sounds like you finished the day on a good note though so that’s what counts.
    Chonce recently posted…How I’ve Side Hustled and Saved My Way to FinCon 2015My Profile

• Reply Kayla @ Femme Frugality September 2, 2015 at 11:30 am

As much as I want to laugh and say I’d never do that and haven’t done something like that, I have! Only I don’t have kids or a spouse, so instead I yell at my parents, brother, friends, or pets. Yikes! Sometimes we just need a reminder that it’s not worth getting upset over spilled milk :)
    Kayla @ Femme Frugality recently posted…Have Some Fun and Do Some Good With the Family House Polo Match #Pittsburgh #GiveawayMy Profile

• Reply moderatemuseblog September 4, 2015 at 10:20 am

Haha! It makes me feel better to know that I’m not alone in letting things like this make me crazy from time to time.

• Reply Mariana Cisowska @ BrooklynBasedGirlfriend September 7, 2015 at 12:35 pm

I think it was more about the fact of being cheated on rather than the $1.25.. I think this is a normal reaction whether it is $1 or $8.. Some of my local stores are so disorganized and have old sale / clearance signs. Nothing is clear until an item is actually scanned.
    In a case like that, possibly it is better to return the item, and feel as if it was never purchased and get it when next sale comes along. But I definitely understand the frustration. :/

• Reply moderatemuseblog September 7, 2015 at 1:17 pm

You’re absolutely right. The frustration did stem from feeling cheated. I have learned my lesson though…always check the receipt before leaving the store!