Budget, Family Finances, My journey to moderate minimalism

Not Primed for Prime Day Deals

July 15, 2015
Not primed for prime day deals

Any other year, I would have been enthusiastically clicking the refresh button to get in on the new deals offered every ten minutes by Amazon Prime Day. I have always loved Black Friday shopping, and I can’t resist a good deal on quality items. We are on such a tight budget right now, I really can’t justify the expense of any “deals” no matter how much money I would be saving.

Especially since we pledged as a family to get rid of half of our stuff by the end of the year, it would be a bit ridiculous to spend money on items just because they’re on sale. I might consider looking at the deals if there was something that we actually needed right now.  As it is, I would just be tempted to spend money we don’t really have on items we don’t really need.

When preparing for big deal days, I ask three questions before participating

Have I been waiting for an item to go on sale?

Especially for days like today and other big events like Black Friday and Cyber Monday, I will have been planning well in advance for a very particular item. We bought our dishwasher on Black Friday one year and saved ourselves about $200 dollars. If there is something we need, we will have a game plan for pouncing as soon as it goes on sale.

How good is the deal?

If we truly need an item, we will keep watch over the prices as they fluctuate throughout the year. By knowing the different price mark-ups, we know if we are actually getting a good deal. We can tell if the item we want had a 25% markup a month prior to the deal day. Instead just so that they can claim it’s now 75% off, when really we would only save 50%.

Have I been saving for that particular item?

If it’s something we need, then chances are we will have had some money put away to put towards it once it goes on sale. There isn’t anything that we have money set aside for right now. Since we haven’t been saving for a particular item, we don’t have the money readily available for any of the big deals today on Prime day.

We don’t need any more clutter

Some of the products might be nice to indulge in, but anything we could afford today would just be more of what we’re trying to get rid of: clutter. Not only are we trying our hardest to thin out our closets, empty our basement, and get ready for a yard sale, but we have some big expenses coming up that we really need to set our money aside for instead. Maybe next year I will be able to get excited for something I truly need and want to go on sale. Until then, I am going to keep focusing on saving money and getting rid of my clutter.

Are you participating in Prime Day? Have you been waiting for any big ticket items to go on sale?

• Reply Hannah July 15, 2015 at 11:47 am

A great resource that I use when looking for “stuff” that’s not a consumable is called CamelCamelCamel.com, it tracks prices for 3+ months, so you can figure out if you’re getting a good deal or not.

We try to avoid buying stuff for the most part, but we will be spending on some home appliances (probably waiting until Black Friday like you).

• Reply moderatemuseblog July 15, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Thanks, Hannah! I had never heard of that before. What a great tool!

• Reply SavvyJames July 15, 2015 at 1:15 pm

Like you, I won’t be doing any shopping today, Prime Day. The reality is that there is nothing specific I am looking for at this time and I really don’t want to look for deals all day and convince myself that something is too good a deal to pass up. I think I’ll just not spend/save some money today.
    SavvyJames recently posted…A Richer Understanding: A Comfortable NestMy Profile

• Reply moderatemuseblog July 15, 2015 at 1:38 pm

Especially when you don’t need anything in particular, it’s definitely easiest to just avoid the sales altogether! It’s hard to say no sometimes when you see those deals.

• Reply Michelle July 15, 2015 at 2:34 pm

I’m looking, but probably not buying. If I didn’t have over $200 in Amazon credits, I wouldn’t even touch it right now. But I have a small shopping list that I am going to stick to. If I see anything in my price range, I may jump.
    Michelle recently posted…Frugal Parenting for Lazy Moms and DadsMy Profile

• Reply moderatemuseblog July 15, 2015 at 3:33 pm

If I had gift cards, I would probably be more willing to use them for deal today. Gift cards combined with sale prices make gift shopping way more affordable for Christmas and birthdays, etc.

• Reply Kayla @ Shoeaholicnomore July 15, 2015 at 5:48 pm

Somehow I missed out on today even being a big online shopping day. Oh well – I didn’t need anything anyway. :)
    Kayla @ Shoeaholicnomore recently posted…2014 Final Tax NumbersMy Profile

• Reply Chonce July 16, 2015 at 11:10 am

I purposely missed on out Prime Day by just staying busy and avoiding all the fuss yesterday. I do need a couple of things but I didn’t feel like searching on the site and getting distracted by the deals and making other unnecessary purchases. I’m happy that I’m focusing my money on other goals for the moment
    Chonce recently posted…Side Hustles Explored: Earn Money as a Product DemonstratorMy Profile

• Reply moderatemuseblog July 16, 2015 at 11:23 pm

Staying purposefully busy is a great idea to avoid any temptation to spend money that should be focused on more important things.

• Reply Grayson July 16, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Well, you don’t have to worry, the deals were terrible. While I did score two things I had been looking for, it took a lot of work and not worth it. This was easily a ploy to get more Prime members (I’m one already).
    Grayson recently posted…Betterment Just Made Investing Easier with SmartDepositMy Profile

• Reply moderatemuseblog July 16, 2015 at 11:20 pm

It really was a terrible ploy. I hope Amazon took notes on how not to run a “Prime Day” if they ever do it again.

• Reply Kirsten July 16, 2015 at 12:53 pm

I guess because I’ve been so into the moving stuff – I had no idea this was happening :-) I never get much wrapped up in the hype though. Like you said, I don’t need more stuff so it’s pretty easy to just pass.
    Kirsten recently posted…I’m Finally Sharing My Big NewsMy Profile

• Reply moderatemuseblog July 16, 2015 at 11:19 pm

You certainly don’t want any more stuff to worry about packing!

• Reply Femme @ femmefrugality July 16, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Meh from what I understand it was a huge disappointment anyways. A lot of random cheap crap nobody needed mostly, and then if there was a good item they went so quickly you couldn’t even get on the wait list. Too much stress for me to participate!
    Femme @ femmefrugality recently posted…3 Ways to Get Help With Your Home Down PaymentMy Profile

• Reply Nelson July 17, 2015 at 3:22 am

@hannah, thanks for mentioning the camelcamel website. @kristi – prime day was a disappointment although one of my friends bought something for full price on prime day i had to give him a bit of grief. what’s the point of waiting for prime day if you’re going to pay full price? that cracked me up.
    Nelson recently posted…How Do I Understand the Basics of the Oil Industry? For Newbies.My Profile

• Reply moderatemuseblog July 17, 2015 at 9:14 am

Ha! That’s funny, Nelson. I would give him grief too!