Blog and life updates

Make the Most of Every Moment

June 29, 2015
time is fleeting

Because of some sad family news, I only have a short post today, but I will hopefully have a much longer post up on Wednesday. If you have visited my site before, you’ll notice that it got a makeover. This past weekend, Grayson from Debt Roundup helped me make the switch to a self-hosted website! I was terrified about the switch, because my tech skills are pretty lacking, but I am really excited about the opportunities I now have for customization. I will have so much more flexibility with tools and plugins, and I won’t be limited by WordPress anymore. I am diving head first into this new stage of blogging. It definitely helps that I know that I can always email Grayson if I run into trouble.

Life really likes to whip you around like you’re on a roller coaster. Just as I was getting excited about making the switch to self-hosting and some other amazing opportunities headed my way, I found out that my dad’s dad was in the hospital, severely ill. Over the course of a few weeks, his condition deteriorated and he was transferred into hospice care with failing kidneys. My dad was able to make it up to the Buffalo area where my grandparents live to say goodbye on my Grandfather’s last day, but he died this past Friday morning.

I don’t know much about the man that raised my dad, but I know that my dad is the most amazing man on the planet, so he must have done a few things right. My grandfather was never famous, rich, or successful by society’s standards, but he lived a long life and left a huge family behind. He worked hard to provide for his wife and eight kids to the best of his ability. He taught my dad carpentry, masonry, and craftsman skills, the level of which just don’t exist anymore. He passed on a gift to my dad, whose gifts will be passed down to my kids. I know that whenever I did venture north to visit family, he always seemed genuinely happy to see me.

The wake is today, and the funeral is tomorrow. It takes 10 hours to get there from where I live, and there is no way that I can make it there with two young kids and two dogs to be with my dad as he mourns his dad’s passing. My heart is aching that I will never really get closure to say goodbye to the man that raised my dad into the amazing man that he is. Distance and circumstance were such that I never got to have a real relationship with my grandfather growing up. Even so, death has a funny way of creeping in and causing sorrow, even when you weren’t terribly close with the person. I appreciate the man that he was, the man that he raised, and the legacy that he left. I mourn him for my dad’s sake as well as my own. My heart is aching, not only for the loss of my grandfather, but also for my dad as he comes to terms with his dad’s passing.

A death in the family especially helps you to refocus your priorities. I want my biggest priorities in life to be a life well-lived and a family filled with love and laughter. Today, to honor my dad and my grandfather, I am spending a special family day together with my husband, who has a rare day off, and with our two kids to get out on a family hike. The best way to remember and honor the ones that you love is to keep on living a full and vibrant life. Your loved ones want you to make the most of every moment. I intend to do just that.

• Reply Kirsten June 29, 2015 at 6:30 am

Kristi, I am sorry for your loss. Praying for strength and comfort.
    Kirsten recently posted…Can Crowdsourcing Student Loan Debt Work?My Profile

• Reply Christina @ Embracing Simple June 29, 2015 at 8:02 am

I am so sorry for your loss Kristi. “The best way to remember and honor the ones that you love is to keep on living a full and vibrant life.” <– this is so true, and beautifully said. My thought are with you!
    Christina @ Embracing Simple recently posted…Tips for Saving Money When Hosting a PartyMy Profile

• Reply Jodie June 29, 2015 at 8:48 am

Kristi, this was beautifully written. I read it to your Dad as we head up to Buffalo for the funeral. You touched your Dad’s heart and left him in tears. You’re right, your Dad is amazing, and so are you!

• Reply Robin June 29, 2015 at 9:01 am

I’m so sorry! I hope you guys are able to enjoy some much deserved family time today.
    Robin recently posted…Does a Minimalist House Have to Mean Blank Walls?My Profile

• Reply moderatemuseblog June 29, 2015 at 9:12 am

Thank you, Robin! I’m looking forward to spending some much needed family time today.

• Reply DC @ Young Adult Money June 29, 2015 at 9:03 am

I’m so sorry for your loss. I know losing someone and attending funerals has always forced me to think about my priorities. For some reason work and “getting ahead” seems so unimportant when you realize how short life is.
    DC @ Young Adult Money recently posted…3 Real Ways to Work from Home Full-TimeMy Profile

• Reply moderatemuseblog June 29, 2015 at 9:10 am

Thank you. It’s definitely important to pursue the things that give you fulfillment and that provide for yourself and your family, but you need to make sure that you’re spending quality time with your loved ones.

• Reply Chonce July 2, 2015 at 2:06 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss Kristi. Distance has prevented me from getting to know a lot of my family as well. I totally agree with you about prioritizing spending time with your family and living life to the fullest.
    Chonce recently posted…Side Hustles Explored: Becoming a Mystery ShopperMy Profile

• Reply moderatemuseblog July 3, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Thank you, Chonce! Sometimes I wish the world was just a wee bit smaller, so that friends and family weren’t spread so far apart.

• Reply Jennifer @ WanderlustWallet July 3, 2015 at 3:58 am

My condolences on your loss, Kristi. I particularly loved the same statement as Christina: “The best way to remember and honor the ones that you love is to keep on living a full and vibrant life.” Being so far away from extended family has been hard for me lately, so this was a lovely reminder. Your new blog design looks great btw — very clean!
    Jennifer @ WanderlustWallet recently posted…Spring Quarter Goals RecapMy Profile

• Reply moderatemuseblog July 3, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Thank you, Jennifer! I can’t imagine how hard it must be to live oceans away from your loved ones.