Gardening, Motherhood

Peace in the Garden: Recharging When Life Stresses You Out

June 1, 2015
Finding peace in the garden

Life slows down for most people this time of year with the kids getting out of school, getting ready to go on vacations, and enjoying Saturdays by the pool. I wish that was the case for us, but life in the Muse house is full steam ahead.

My husband works three weekends a month, we home school year-long, and our vacation is not until mid-November this year. I have been hired to write for two different websites Shoeaholic No More and Retire by 40, which is amazing and so exciting. Having this opportunity, to write professionally and expand my resume, is a welcome kind of stress, but there has definitely been a bit of a learning curve with finding “my work from home mom” rhythm. Taking care of the kids all day and writing all night means that I am pretty tired most days.

IMG_8406

I have found that I am less likely to unravel if I start my days by doing something I love to do. Most days that means tending to the garden.  In a fast and stressful life, I love that I have a place where I can find peace and quiet. When life becomes crazy or feels just a little bit overwhelming, spending a quiet half hour tending to the garden recharges my emotional batteries and gives me the peace I need to face another day. I love that you can’t hurry a garden. You have to give it light, water, nutrients, and time. It’s a process that can’t be rushed. It makes you slow down.

I love our crazy, chaotic life. I wouldn’t trade it for the world, but I am grateful to have a quiet retreat where I can go to unwind, do something I love, and find some peace at the beginning of the day.

How do you unwind? Do you start your day doing something you find peaceful?

• Reply Kirsten June 2, 2015 at 9:49 am

Congratulations on the positions! That’s fantastic :-)

• Reply Christina @ Embracing Simple June 2, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Congrats on the new gigs, that’s so great! I enjoy going for walks to recharge a bit, something about the fresh air seems to do wonders :)

• Reply ModerateMuse June 2, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Thanks, Christina! I’m pretty excited!

I really love going for walks too =] we live out in the country, so it’s always a really peaceful way to unwind a bit.

• Reply retirebyforty June 3, 2015 at 6:34 am

Our kid’s preschool was done last week. He’ll be home most of June. Man, it’s tough to be a stay at home dad full time. I unwind by reading a bit after the kid goes to sleep. I work on my writing at night too so I don’t get enough sleep either.
    Best wishes

• Reply ModerateMuse June 3, 2015 at 2:35 pm

I too love reading after the kids are asleep. No matter how late I stay up working, I always read for at least ten minutes.

Late nights are always great for my productivity, but I wish my son would let me sleep in past 5:30 every morning. I’m glad to hear that I’m not the only one fighting off the needs of little ones to get some writing done =]

• Reply Jennifer @ WanderlustWallet June 3, 2015 at 10:06 am

Congratulations on writing for Retire by Forty in addition to Shoeaholic No More — that’s wonderful news! Currently, I have the luxury of a lot of time, but I still find that I fill my days very easily. I do have a morning routine that includes dedicated time for reading books, which is something I enjoy but tend to push to the backburner.

• Reply ModerateMuse June 3, 2015 at 2:41 pm

Thank you, Jennifer! I am so thrilled to be able to write for another website besides my own.

Finding time for reading is as essential as breathing! Good for your for designating time for it!